Late Stage Caregiving Resources
Medical Doctors To Approach
- Ask about other comorbidities, and their effect on the person with Alzheimer's
- In the late stages the primary concern should be palliative care. Palliative care means patient and family-centered care that optimizes quality of life by providing relief from the symptoms, pain, physical stress, and mental stress of the disease.
Infections are much more common in the late stages. Ask about the impact they have on cognition.
* When searching for doctors, look for those who have extensive experience with Alzheimer's or a related dementia. They will be the most beneficial in helping you and your loved one through the various stages of Alzheimer's or a related dementia.
Therapists To Approach
- Ask about how to maintain physical abilities
In the late stages of the disease, maintaining, as opposed to improving mobility should be the primary goal
Ask how to continue the exercises on the person with Alzheimer's
- Ask about how to maintain swallowing
Swallowing is a basic function that can be lost in the late stages of the disease. It is imperative to maintain this ability to ensure a healthy person
* When searching for therapists, look for those who have extensive previous experience with Alzheimer's or a related dementia.
Caregiving Services Needed
Social Workers from the Department of Aging/Senior Services Department
- These individuals can best help you in obtaining important resources (depending on individual preference and life experiences, needs may vary) i.e.
Adult Diapers/Bed Pads/Wipes
Home Doctor Visits
Private home-health agencies that help provide services for people with Alzheimer's i.e.
Home Health Aides & Certified Nursing Assistants
- Will have an increasing presence in your home.
- Has an important role in maintaining a happy & healthy person
Depending on individual preference and life experiences, needs from caregivers vary dramatically
* Search for these services/agencies/individuals in your local area to help ease you and your loved ones transition in between all stages of Alzheimer's & other Dementias